The Scientific Sessions and Debate at the AGM 2012 gathered significant audiences and response from attendees. A summary of each of these sessions is now available as well as video playback and speaker presentations. See each of the sessions below for details.
Friday 13th, 4.15pm
Saturday 14th, 4.15 pm
Speakers for the Debate
Mr Brian Turner
Having graduated from UCC with a Masters degree in economics in 1994, Brian spent seven years as a property analyst in London and Dublin. In 2002, he joined The Health Insurance Authority – the independent statutory regulatory agency for the private health insurance industry in Ireland – as Head of Research/Technical Services. This role included monitoring developments in health insurance, healthcare and the regulatory and legislative environments in Ireland and internationally.
In 2005, Brian returned to UCC to study for a PhD in Economics. He completed his thesis, entitled An Empirical Analysis of Risk Equalisation in a Regulated Community Rated Health Insurance Market, in 2010. He is currently a lecturer in the Department of Economics at UCC, focusing in particular on health economics and insurance principles. He is currently Programme Co-director of the Postgraduate Diploma in Health Economics Practice, which is designed to expose healthcare practitioners to how economic decision-making can be used in the health sector. His areas of research interest include healthcare financing, particularly health insurance, and the evolving nature of the Irish healthcare system.
Dr Mary Gray
- Chairman IMO GP Committee.
- Full time general practitioner in Corbally, Limerick.
- MB BCh BAO (UCC)
- DCH DO FPC
- Dip. Practical Dermatology (UW)
- Dip. Health Law and Ethics (UW)
- Certificate Aviation Medicine. IAA medical examiner.
- Director of Medisec (non profit).
- Member medical advisory panel, Medisec and Allianz p.l.c.
- Member Advisory Committee, University of Limerick Medical School
- Senior Lecturer, Health Law and Ethics, University of Limerick Medical School
- Director of Shannondoc – GP out of hours co-operative (non profit)
- Member Mid Western Health Board.
- Member Comhairle na nOspideal.