IMO budget reaction - 5th December
Irish Medical Organisation

IMO budget reaction - 5th December

Budget 2012

 
Irish Medical Organisation responds to Government’s spending plans announcement. Expresses “grave concern” at further pressure being added to services already near “breaking point”.
 
Monday 5th December 2011.  
The Irish Medical Organisation [IMO] has expressed its “grave concern” at the impact on health services of the cuts in public spending announced today by the Minister for Public Expenditure and Reform, Brendan Howlin TD.
 
Speaking today, Dr. Ronan Boland, President of the IMO, said that while doctors fully appreciated the scale of the financial challenges facing the State, it was clear that 2012 would see massive pressure on health services which were already “near breaking point”.
 
“The series of cuts announced today will lead to longer waiting lists, more pressure in hospital Emergency Departments and in GP surgeries and further hardship for patients across the community.”
 
“We are particularly concerned at the increase in the threshold for the Drug Payment Scheme [up €12 per month] and the cuts to children’s benefit, not least because these will impact disproportionately on those people who can least afford any further financial pressure.”  
 
“We are also deeply concerned at the reference to cuts in overtime and allowances which will directly impact on front line services. The IMO will study all budget announcements closely over the coming days.”, said Dr. Boland.
 
 
Further Information:
Maria Murphy
Director of Communications
Mobile 086 2514 057
 
 
 
 

IMO Membership

Start reaping the benefits of membership.

If you were previously a member of the IMO you can rejoin here.

Join nowRejoin here ›

Enquiries

Have a question?
Please get in touch with us and we will be happy to answer.

MAKE AN ENQUIRY